All students at The Grange School have access to careers guidance in a variety of ways:
- There is dedicated time during PSHE lessons, delivered by Heads of Year, covering such things as Year 9 Curriculum Guidance Process, managing money, post-16 progression, employability, interview techniques and writing letters of application.
- In Year 10, students complete a one week work experience. Selection for this, and further information, are available in the autumn term. This is always a highly successful, worthwhile and valuable experience for the students. It is not always possible to match a student’s career aspirations with a work placement, particularly in fields such as medicine, dentistry and veterinary. All placements are vetted and insurance confirmed.
- We were the BTEC School of the Year 2017 and run a series of courses in which our students can receive specialist teaching in subjects as diverse as Sport, Health and Social Care, and Enterprise. Our Sixth Form consists solely of vocational subjects.
- The school has secured funding to be able to buy in the services of an independent Careers Adviser, giving all students in Year 9, 10 and 11 the opportunity for an individual interview and careers advice. Our adviser can be contacted by email or by referral from a tutor/ Head of Year.
- In Key Stage 4 there are a number of assemblies run by local post 16 education providers to allow pupils to have an informed and balanced input of the opportunities available to them.
- All students have access to a number of careers websites through which they can access further support including live web chat and assistance with applications such as Sixth Form and College applications and The Apprenticeship website.
In addition, there are many other careers inputs through tutor time and events such as Post 16 Progression Evening, Top Apprenticeships Evening and Year 9 Curriculum Guidance Evening.
All students in the Sixth Form are able to undertake work experience as part of their course. The Sixth Form also have access to the careers adviser for careers opportunities and UCAS applications.